The following checklist can be helpful if you are planning to choose a custom builder or re-modeler in Brazos County to build or remodel your home:
- Contact the local Home Builder’s Association and ask for a list of local member builders and remodelers. You can also ask for recommendations from family members, friends, neighbors or coworkers.
- Make sure the custom builder or home remodeler has a permanent business location in Brazos County and is in good standing with banks and suppliers in the area.
- Find out how long they have been doing business under their current name and address. Usually, it takes about three to five years to establish a business that is financially strong. You have to make sure they will be able to service warranties after the construction is complete.
- Contact the local Better Business Bureau in Brazos County and check the company’s rating and look for any complaints filed against it.
- Make sure the custom builder/remodeler has general liability insurance in Brazos County. Only financially stable builders will be able to obtain liability insurance.
- Ask the custom builder/remodeler to provide you with a list of previous customers. If they don’t, stay away. If they do, ask the clients if they would hire the custom builder/remodeler again.
- Ask if you can see the custom builder/remodelers homes in Brazos County, both completed and work in progress. Check for quality of materials used and the workmanship of the craftsmen.
- Do you feel you can easily communicate your requirements and concerns with the custom builder/remodeler? Remember you will remain in close contact with them throughout the project and later as you live in your new home in Brazos County.
- Make sure the custom builder/remodeler provides you with a detailed and clearly written contract. The contract will to the advantage of both of you. If you are building a new custom home, get a copy of the home warranty and carefully review it, as well as the homeowner’s manual.
- Be wary of low-priced bids that are too good to be true. If the custom builder/remodeler can’t pay for the labor and materials as the project proceeds, this may signal a potential problem. Keep in mind that cheaper doesn’t necessarily mean better!
Finding and hiring the perfect builder in Brazos County is crucial for the success of your project. By using our comprehensive checklist, you can ensure that you prioritize quality, effective communication, and ultimately achieve peace of mind throughout the construction process. With the right builder by your side, your project will be in capable hands, resulting in a beautiful and satisfying outcome.